The World Congress of Families and the ultra-conservative Sutherland Institute announced today that they are hosting a free event with senior pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego, Calif., Jim Garlow. Garlow was the major force behind California’s Prop 8. The title of the event is “Religious Freedom in America Today: Understanding the Times.”
According to GLAAD, Garlow:
- Said that “Satan” is behind extending the freedom to marry to gay and lesbian couples: “So if I were Satan, if I were the Devil, I’d want to destroy the imagery of male and female coming together with light and joy, covenantal marriage on Earth.”
- Said 2012 election results show that America “has stage four cancer”
- Called on Christians to rise up against America in the way that they did during the Revolutionary War: “They would pick up a musket and ask: ‘Who’s going to go fight with me?’ And so the revolutionary armies during that time came from pastors leading the churches. It’s known as the Blacked-Robed Regiment. And we need a black-robed regiment today. We need pastors who are willing to stand up. And we need persons who are in the pews to stand up with them — a black-robed regiment of laypersons — who’s going to take a like stand.”
- Told pastors that if California’s ban on marriage equality failed, they would go to jail: “[If] we lose, we go to jail. How soon I don’t know. But the fact is this is the kind of case where political correctness is bearing down. If a pastor refuses to perform a homosexual wedding, if we lose on this, he will be or she will be so incredibly vulnerable at that time.”
- Compared children losing their parents on 9/11 to children with gay parents: “Our President gave a speech a few days ago in which he said, ‘the tragedy of 9/11 was that it robbed so many children of having a mommy or a daddy.’ Well, you know something Mr. President, your failure to defend marriage and to redefine marriage means that everybody who is under that redefined marriage will lack either a mommy or a daddy and that is morally wrong.”
- Of marriage equality: “We have an enormous storm coming at us in homosexual marriage, unlike anything we’ve ever faced. Abortion was not this way — as horrible as abortion is — but this is the first social issue that, if we lose on, the Gospel is crushed under foot.”
- Marriage, again: “Satan is obsessed in destroying marriage, the coming together, fitting together of the two complimentary halves of humanity – male and female, since they are on earth, a mirror, an image, of what is to be fulfilled at the end of this age. And that is why we are in the battle we are in… It is about the desire of Satan to decimate the picture of God’s ultimate design for the Cosmos – the Grand Wedding of His Son to the Prepared Bride.
- Suggests same-sex marriage is like a house with miswired electricity and poorly installed plumbing: “All the people who advocate for so-called same-sex marriage ought to have to live in homes in which the plumbers who built them, or the electricians who built them, didn’t understand the difference between the male and female end of piping or plumbing or of electrical as well and see how that home works out for them.”
- Said President Obama should apologize for supporting inclusive military service: (writing in voice of the President) “I have helped to demoralize the military that defends us. I ran roughshod over 59% of the US Marines when I forced my social experimentation upon them, coercing them to accept lifestyles as normative, with no thought of troop readiness and cohesion. I was drawn in to the errors, lies and sins of political correctness, at the expense of truth. I am ashamed of this. I am sorry. I ask for forgiveness.”
- Compares marriage equality to slavery: “Isn’t it interesting that the African Americans that were brought here against their will, coercively, in bondage and chains in a horrific experience called slavery…they end up being, in state by state, in many cases, what has saved us from the bondage and enslavement that would come upon us if gay marriage actually passed in a state, California being a prime example where the African Americans saved us from the bondage we would’ve faced.” (10:00 in 2nd clip)
- Says of the current marriage equality fight: “If I were Satan, I would want to destroy the image of God on the planet. How do you do that? You’ve got to destroy the insitution of marriage” (12:55-13:05; expounds on this topic for next three mins.)
- Says if marrage equality passes, Chirstians must become like Bonhoeffer, a pastor who is famous for fighting Nazis
The event will be at the Life Church, 3818 W 4700 South, on Sept. 30 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. It is free of charge.